Commerce ISD police say a district fourth-grader who caused a stir in class Tuedsday was unharmed, as were others in class.
According to a statement, a student at A.C. Williams Elementary poured a liquid substance believed to be gasoline from a plastic bottle onto himself.
"The student also possessed a lighter but discarded it into a trash can," the statement said.
A faculty member reportedly intervened and the student was taken to the office without further incident.
CISD police say a limited number of students witnessed the incident. The department is conducting an investigation of the event and any events leading up to the incident.
Counseling services have been made available to students, staff, and faculty