Leadership class seeks participants
By Scott Harvey
Hunt County – The window of opportunity is still open for those wanting to sign up for the Leadership Hunt County class of 2008/2009.
Offered by the Greenville Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Hunt County's primary purpose is to provide an ongoing source of leaders dedicated to a superb quality of life throughout the county.
Orientation day for the class will be September 25, and participants will meet the second Thursday of the month for eight months thereafter. Each class member will also have the opportunity to be a part of the Hunt County Days delegation to Austin on January 28.
The program period spans September to May. Each session is devoted to a specific aspect of what makes a community operate, such as:
- Economic Development for the county and each of the communities within the county.
- Health Care and the impact of cost and availability on the community
- Government each level, plus interactions of elected officials and agencies at all levels
- Human Services and the challenge of access as learned through a field trip
- Education and the importance of good schools and what we can do to influence that
- Law and Justice day includes visits to law enforcement facilities and observations in court
- Diversity and all its meanings and implications for understanding in a harmonious environment
- Arts and Culture generally includes some first-hand experience in front of an audience
- Community Boards/Volunteering the real purpose of the experience and why it's so important to have a volunteer-oriented community
Session formats vary to include lectures, discussion groups, simulations, field trips, and a variety of other activities.
There is also:
- A full-day orientation and retreat
- An opportunity to be a part of the delegation to Austin for the Hunt County Days event
- A May Graduation Day!
Up to 25 individuals make up a class. The class meets once a month for a full day (8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.) at a different location each time.
The cost of the nine-month program is $500 for a small business with fewer than 20 employees or a $550 tuition fee for a corporation with 20 or more employees. A variety of payment options are available.
For further information, please call 903-455-1510, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Students may register on-line at www.greenvillechamber.com.