TAB 2021 Play by Play: John Mark Dempsey & Kevin Jefferies
In this KETR broadcast of Commerce Tigers football, Tiger junior Da'Shawn Jackson had an epic night, earning "Built Ford Tough Player of the Week" honors for 3A teams in Texas, with 255 yards rushing, four rushing touchdowns, a 75-yard touchdown pass, a 63-yard touchdown reception, and 15 tackles and five pass-breakups on defense, as the Tigers won 55-20 over Rains.
Now heading toward its 47th season of broadcasting Tigers football, including state championships in 1999 and 2001, KETR strives for these professional standards, which we believe you will hear in this clip:
• Quick identification of Tigers and opposing players by name and position, not relying on jersey numbers for identification. Identification of tacklers on both teams, and credit for key blocks when possible.
• Respect shown for players on the opposing team, including correct pronunciation of their names and recognition of their accomplishments in the current game and in the season to date. Identification of officials by name.
• Keeping the storyline of the game in focus using up-to-date statistics and drive summaries. Frequent recaps of touchdowns and other key plays.
• Frequent repetition of the score; down, distance and ball position on every play.
• Frequent updates of scores from other games as part of KETR's "Big Friday Night Scoreboard."
• Quick calculation of the yardage gained on all plays, especially long plays and punts, to give the listener a greater sense of the magnitude of the play.
• Solid knowledge of the rules, including penalties and officials' signals.
• High-quality digital audio of all home games and road games where the facilities are available. Good mix of crowd noise under play-by-play.
• Broadcast of at least some of the CHS band's halftime performance.
In the past two seasons, KETR has added streaming video via Facebook and YouTube to its radio broadcasts.
This is accomplished with two broadcasters in the press box and two in the studio (Ryan Fulkerson & Jerrod Knight).