2015 Chiggerfest set to entertain
This year’s 2015 Chiggerfest event is bigger and better than ever with surprises around every corner of the Square – mechanical bull rides, antique tractor pull, wine tasting, dunking booth, cake walk, unique fried treats and more!
“It is going to be the best in many, many years – new vendors, new music with great volunteers,” said Delta County Chamber of Commerce President Cheryl Cash. “We have added lots of new entertainment. It will be outstanding!”
Delta County Chamber of Commerce office manager Gracie Young has been a busy chigger, herself, lately with the recent office move and now vendors and runners signing up for Saturday, Oct. 17’s big event.
“Runners are getting anxious to run and walk. I have about 25 already signed up,” said Gracie Young on the annual Chiggerfest 5K run/2 mile walk which will be organized by Kia Williams, Assistant Director of Fitness and Wellness at Texas A&M University in Commerce, complete with timing system. The big chigger mascot will help start the runners again this year too.
New to the event this year will be the first Chiggerfest Bull Riding Championship at 7:30 p.m. at the Rodeo arena in the City Park. It is sponsored by Freeman Cattle Co., J&J Rodeo Co., Delta Roping Club, Hwy 24 Lumber and Feed and Cactus Saddlery. It will feature Shyrale Bivons versus Keon Miller in Match Bronc Riding and Bayle Worden versus Cristiano Figueredo in Match Bull Riding as well as Calf Scramble for children and live bull fighting action. Admission is $5 and children three years and younger are free.
“And, of course, we will be stomping out those nasty ol’ chiggers,” said Delta County Chamber co-organizer Nikki Mullens. She has helped provide new vendors this year along with repeat vendors. Everything from classic fair foods like funnel cakes, barbeque, and hamburgers to chocolate covered cheesecake, fried fish, breakfast burritos will be available on the Square in Cooper. Vendors with sweet desserts, homemade crafts, piggy banks and stools, jewelry, clothing, bounce houses and games.
Make the Saturday morning complete with the Lions Club Pancake Breakfast at the Cooper Fire Department starting 7 a.m. until 10 a.m. It is a freshly cooked all-you-can-eat pancake, sausage, orange juice and/or coffee start to the day for only $5 for adults and $3 for children under 12 years.
Plus the Chamber will be awarding two $250 scholarships to any High School senior that volunteers to work from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Chiggerfest event.
Another new attraction will be the Red River Valley Antique Tractor Club’s “Power of the Past” Antique Tractor Pull at City Park at 9 a.m. Bring lawns chairs for this one! Contact Rocky Young for more information at 903.517.3890.
From 8 a.m. until noon stroll into the Delta County Civic Center for the Health Fair sponsored by Cooper Home Health. Get that ticker checked or your eyes to make sure you can find those chiggers all in one location.
Look for the bling at 2 p.m. shining from the Civic Center as Little Miss and Mister will be crowned for the 2015 Chiggerfest Pageant winners.
The Pet Parade will be prancing around downtown also starting at 2 p.m. – dress up your furry friend and join the fun.
An entire day of fun and activities for all ages! Mark the calendar for Saturday, Oct. 17. Contact Gracie Young at 903.395.4314 to reserve a booth space or register for Chiggerfest run.
The 2015 Chiggerfest is just one of the many ways the Chamber is working for the County. Delta County Chamber of Commerce strives to make Delta County a better place to work, shop and Live. A fifteen member Board of Directors provide leadership for researching, implementing and promoting activities that concern the membership and the citizens of Delta County. The Board is organized to direct special attention to our membership, community development, economic development, special events and promoting Delta County as a destination point for tourism.
Membership in the Chamber of Commerce is open to the public. Volunteers are always welcome. To become a member of the Delta County Chamber of Commerce call 903.395.4314 or come by the new office on the west side of the Cooper Square for more information.
- 6:30 a.m. – 8 a.m. - Vendor check-in and set-up at West Dallas Avenue behind First National Bank
- 7 a.m. – 10 a.m. - Lions Club pancake breakfast at Cooper Fire Station
- 6:45 a.m.- 7:30 a.m. 5K run/2 mile walk check-in at First United Methodist Church’s front lawn
- 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. – Mechanical Bull
- 8:30 a.m. - Opening Ceremonies
- 9 a.m. - National Anthem on Square and start of the Antique Tractor Pull at City Park
- 9:05 a.m. – Chigger Story Contest Winner
- 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Chiggerfest
- 8a.m. – noon – Cooper Home Health’s Health Fair at Delta County Civic Center
- 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Live Music sponsored by B.K. Moody
- 2 p.m. – Dunking Booth near music stage
- 2 p.m. – Little Miss and Mister Delta County Pageant at the Delta County Civic Center
- 2 p.m. – Pet Parade on lawn across from First National Bank and CottonLand Finds
- 3 – 4 p.m. – Bull fighter's and Bull riders at Gazebo photo opportunities
- 7:30 p.m. – 1st Annual Chiggerfest Bull Riding Championship at rodeo arena in City Park
- *Check out Cooper Lake State Park for free from 8 a.m. -5 p.m., Saturday
- 2015 Chiggerfest
- Musical Events set for the Chiggerfest Main Stage
- 8:30 a.m. – Cooper High School Mighty Maroon Marching Band
- 9 a.m. – Opening Ceremonies: National Anthem by Micalyn Rowe and announcement of Story Writing Contest Winner
- 9:30 a.m. – Krissy Green Band
- 10 a.m. – Scott Dickey
- 11 a.m. – Glenn Watson and Dakota Smith
- Noon – Laurinda Yoder
- 1 p.m. – Teresa Hanson
- 2 p.m. – Wide Open Band
- 3 p.m. – Li-Sher Dance Studio dancers perform
- *Bring your lawn chairs to sit and enjoy the performances on the Square