Buried Episode 14: The Constable
The constable Carey Mae Parker's father says he contacted in 1991 had enemies within local law enforcement and the courts.
Howard Parker told his children and grandchildren that he reached out to the Hunt County constable for the area after Carey vanished.
The constable, Cullen Smith, died in 2008, and there's no record of him receiving a missing person report anytime before his death.
Carey's older brother Glenn says Cullen told him years later not to talk to other police about his sister's case.
Smith's widow, Margaret Smith, doesn't doubt Glenn's recollections of her husband's concerns.
"He didn't want much to do with the other law enforcement officers because he couldn't trust them," she says.
- Quinlan Community Library and Museum Center website
- Hunt Co.Justice of the Peace Class C Misdemeanorsprintout
- Kaufman Co. Justice of the Peace Register of Actions printout
- 2008 Greenville Herald Banner report on Cullen Smith's death
- What Do Texas Constables Do? Whatever They’re Called To Do