Lion men look for important conference victory vs. Javelinas
After suffering back-to-back home losses, the Lions host Kingsville to regain their winning ways in the historic Field House Thursday night at 7:30 p.m.
Fast-break Points About A&M-Commerce
- The Lions have lost three of their last four games and back-to-back home games after an 85-83 overtime loss to then ranked No. 23 Midwestern in their last game ... The Lions have now dropped three straight to ranked teams.
- Four of the six Lions losses have come when A&M-Commerce is outrebounded including the last three -- ASU, TSU and MSU.
- The Lions were ranked in the NABC Top 25 poll for the 26th time in program history ... Last ranking since No. 25 on Dec. 3, 2013.
- Darrell Williams leads the LSC with 13 double-doubles, in scoring 17.1 points per game, rebounds 11.3 rebounds per game -- only player averaging a double-double.
- Williams has grabbed 15 plus rebounds in six games this season and 20 plus rebounds twice during the year ... He is one of only two NCAA DII players with two 20-rebound games.
- A&M-Commerce fell 104-101 at DBU in OT on November 24 ... The Lions were 50-of-65 from the free throw line ... Both were school records while the 50 makes tied the highest mark in the LSC ... LaDon Carnegie was 18-of-23 for school records in both.
- The Lions are fourth in the NCAA in defensive rebounds, fifth in free throw attempts, seventh in free throws made, 13th in total rebounds and 19th in rebounding margin.
- Williams is ranked sixth in the NCAA in double-doubles with 13 ... Williams is also sixth in the NCAA in total rebounds, eighth in rebounds per game and11th in defensive rebounds per game ... Anthony Adams is third in the LSC In assists at 4.1
- A&M-Commerce had a LSC Player of the Week in each of the first four weeks of the season ... Darrell Williams has won one offensive POTW and two straight defensive POTW awards ... LaDon Carnegie was named offensive of POTW once ... Williams followed with his second offensive player of the week on January 12.
- The Lions are coached by Sam Walker ... Walker is in his 15th season with A&M-Commerce and is the school's all-time winningest coach with an overall of 241-178 ... He has complied a 99-92 record in LSC games.
A&M-Commerce vs. Kingsville: The Series
- The Lions and Javelinas have met 116 times prior with the Lions leading the all-time series 65-51 including a 61-43 advantage in LSC games.
- Kingsville has reeled of wins in nine of the last 13 meetings ... However A&M-Commerce has won the last two meetings including an 87-71 rout in the first meeting this season down in Kingsville.
- Under head coach Sam Walker, the Lions are 9-13 against the Javelinas with seven of those wins coming at home in the Field House.
About the Javelinas
- The Javelinas are coming off of an 83-52 win over Eastern New Mexico in their last game ... The win snapped a four-game losing skid ... Dating back to the first game against the Lions the Javelinas have dropped six of their last eight.
- Kingsville is 2-6 in road games this season.
-Troy Jones, a 6'7" forward, leads the Javelinas in scoring at 13.6 points per game ... He is shooting 65 percent from the floor ... Jordan Jahr follows with 10.2 points per game.
- Kingsville leads the league in FT shooting percentage, but is last or next to last in every other major category.